Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A new Starbucks "Brew-ha-ha"

Starbucks logos through the years.
I woke up this morning to find that a friend had posted something interesting on my Facebook page.  Something in the news that I had missed yesterday-- Starbucks to test serving beer and wine at select stores in Seattle.

Then, I went to my favorite business news site-- CNBC.com-- and saw that thePower Lunch crew had done a segment on this during yesterday's show.




Hmmm. At times, I love a beer or two, even the occasional glass of wine. But I don't go to a coffee house for either.  I agree with Laura Reis on this one.  Starbucks should stick to what it does best-- COFFEE.  I do understand the business mentality of "how can we grown and bring in new money," and it's no secret that Starbucks has been looking for ways to increase revenue after 2pm-- don't you love the invitation to return with your morning receipt to get any drink you want for $2 bucks?-- but serving alcohol is not the way for Starbucks!



CNBC anchor Sue Herrera raised the great point about the folks who bring their kids to Starbucks and teenagers who go there because they can't go to bars.  Putting alcohol in the mix is not a good idea.  Plus, when I go to Starbucks after 4pm-- and that's often-- I go for the tranquil atmosphere.  I don't want that atmosphere changed by the sound of clanging beer bottles and breaking wine glasses.  Also, I don't notice a shortage of folks coming in to buy coffee after 4pm.  Is there a line out of the door like in the morning?  No.  But there is a fairly steady flow of regulars who come in for a late afternoon or early evening jolt.

Businesses spend a lot of money on marketing to push their brand identites only to often stray off course in the name of trying some new idea that does not fit the brand.  This is like the burger joint that decides to start serving fried chicken. This is like the cable channel, with "cartoon" in it's name, that decides to show non-animated reality shows. The niche is never enough.

I don't like the alcohol idea. If that's the best the marketing team can come up with, they should keep trying.

What do you think?  Chime-In!

1 comment:

  1. That wasn't the marketing teams idea, that came from the executive offices who only count beans and don't understand how different beans affect the taste of your offerings...

    ReplyDelete